Instagram has launched Instagram Reels!
A new way for anyone – people, creators and businesses – to create and discover short, entertaining videos on Instagram.
With Reels, users can record and edit 15-second multi-clip videos with audio, effects and new creative tools. Reels allow people to express themselves while entertaining others, whether that’s trying out a new dance or spreading the message on something they care about.
Reels can be shared with an Instagram Feed, and Reels from public accounts are eligible to be discovered through a new space in Explore. Sharing Reels to the Explore page means they may appear there and be visible to a larger audience, however, if an account is private only the accounts followers will be able to view their Reels.
When creating Reels, there will be a variety of creative editing tools on the left side of the screen which could be used to create a Reel. These include:
- Audio: Search for a specific song from the Instagram music library for the Reel. While some businesses may not have access to the Instagram library due to commercial music rights restrictions, people and businesses can also use their own original audio by simply recording a Reel with it. When a reel is shared with original audio, the audio will be attributed to the account, and if they have a public account, people can create reels with the audio by selecting ‘Use Audio’ from your reel.
- AR Effects: Select one of the many effects in the effect gallery, created both by Instagram and creators all over the world, to record multiple clips with different effects. For example, use the Green Screen effect to superimpose your product in unexpected places that inspire your audience
- Timer and Countdown: Set the timer to record any clips hands-free. Once you press record, you’ll see a 3-2-1 countdown.
- Align: Line up objects from your previous clip before recording your next, which helps create seamless transitions for moments like outfit changes.
- Speed: Choose to speed up or slow down part of the video or audio you selected.
Reels can be recorded in a series of clips (one at a time), all at once or using video uploads from a gallery. Record the first clip by pressing and holding the capture button. You’ll see a progress indicator at the top of the screen as you record. Stop recording to end each clip.
If an account is public, their Reels can be shared to a dedicated space in Explore where it has the chance to be seen and discovered by the wider Instagram community. It can also be shared with followers by posting it to their feeds. When Reels are shared featuring certain audio hashtags or effects, the Reel may also appear on dedicated pages whenever someone clicks on that audio, hashtag or effects. After sharing the Reel, it will live on a separate Reels tab on the profile, where people can find the reels shared. Unless you change your settings, a Reel will behave like a regular Instagram story; it will not appear on your profile, it will disappear after 24 hours.
Reels in Explore showcases the best of trending culture on Instagram. Discover an entertaining selection of reels made by anyone on Instagram, in a personalized vertical feed.
Some Reels will have a Featured label. These are a selection of Reels chosen by curators at Instagram to help users discover original content or inspire them.
Not sure where to start when it comes to creating Facebook and Instagram ads? Or is Snapchat and TikTok a platform where your audience is but you’re unsure of how to use it? We’ve got you covered! Our Paid Social Media team are experts in putting together successful ads and targeting your key audience. Give us a call today to find out how the team can transform your paid social campaigns!